Saturday, December 5, 2009

5 December update

5 December 2009
Performance Status

The doc said that the more R can maintain or resume regular activities during treatment, the better his performance status, and the better the prognosis. When I was reading running stories a few months ago (in time BC), I found a story of a woman with cancer who wanted to keep running during her treatment. Now that I know what chemo is like, I understand the story on a new level. And I’m going to see if I can start running again. I haven’t run at all for two weeks, and haven’t run consistently for two months. But it feels like two years. It really does.

R told me a few weeks ago that his goal is to be able to do laundry through this whole thing. (He’s always done all the laundry. Laundry is my Moriarty.) It’s his way of keeping his stride. His way to run.

You said you had to get your laundry clean / didn’t want no one to hold you / what does that mean? / Ain’t nothing gonna break my stride, nobody gonna hold me down / oh no / I’ve got to keep on moving

And so I’m celebrating that, like every weekend, he’s doing laundry today.

Ain’t nothing gonna break my stride / I’m running and I won’t touch ground / oh no / I’ve got to keep on moving


4 December 2009
FAQ: Type

What type of cancer is it?

Type: Extragonadal, mediastinal germ cell cancer. Subtype: Nonseminomal. Sub-subtype: Choriocarcinoma.

What does that mean?

It’s testicular cancer that didn’t come from the testicles (they gave R a testicular ultrasound to rule out testicular origin). The origin of the cancerous germ cells is the mediastinum (between the lungs, above the heart). This site has some good explanations.


3 December 2009
Back

Some small back pains and aches; took some vicodin to hopefully get me through the evening.

No comments: